BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Day 15 &16 On the Farm

As you all know, from previous posts, my parents and I stayed two days with a Menonite family. That is the reason for my not posting in two days, they do not allow computers in their home. I'm not sure if I mentions that they lived on a Dairy Farm, but they do, and they run it. It was a very interesting experience. And a smelly one at that. But it was cool. They family we stayed with consisted of John and Melody, the parents, Wendy, their 16 year old daughter who is very sweet, Jordan their 13 year old son, and their two not-so-sweet sons, Morgan 11, and Denver 7. Wendy basically runs the farm and the house. She makes sure everything is going soomthly on the farm, which includes milking the cows, helping with new births, and yes I did get to see one, and so much more. The three oldest children work extremely hard, harder than some adults I know. They basically keep the dairy farm going with the help of their uncle and grandfather. Wendy also does all the cooking and baking for the family. Her mom owns a stamping company, which she makes all the stamps herself. It's very interesting. Their father makes wood sheds. Like the one my grandpa has in his back yard, if any of you have seen it. And he sells them at like $2,500. Which is very cheap. They are well built tho. It was quite an experience spending time on a farm. They also have a creek on their property. It is so peaceful there and at night it's full of really bright lightning bugs. It was wonderful. This family also has a huge house. I slept in the basement, on a fold-out bed. Super uncomfortable, but that's ok. One thing that freaked me out was the deer head that hangs on the wall that was right above my head. On the first night there, there was a huge thunder storm with lots of lightning and rain that lit up the entire basement, which is huge! I took lots of pictures so enjoy. Oh and we also went with them to feed the homeless, another interesting experience. So I am doing my community service work while I'm gone. :)

4 comments:

Erica Rose said...

Lol, Love the pictures... Why was the cow so expensive?? I so could not do that for a living! I would die!!! Hahah

Heather said...

IDK I guess they have some sort of rating/point scale that they go by and it rated high so that made it expensive. I didn't really understand lol I couldn't do it either it's smelly and ALOT of work!

Jarron said...

Amish? are they your family? i'm kinda lost... lol and when are you coming home?

Heather said...

No they are Menonite, which is kinda like Amish, but not. No they aren't my family just friends of my parents. I come home August 3rd n I leave the 6th n come home the 10th then Leave for Peak the 12th then come home the 16th. So...yea. lol